Head of Compliance, UAE
Dubai - United Arab Emirates
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2024
Who We Are
At OKX, we believe the future will be reshaped by technology. Founded in 2017, we are revolutionising world systems through our cutting-edge digital asset exchange, Web3 portal and blockchain ecosystems. We reshape the financial ecosystem by offering some of the most diverse and sophisticated products, solutions, and trading tools on the market. Trusted by more than 50 million users in over 180 countries globally, OKX empowers every individual to explore the world of Web3. With our extensive range of products and services, and unwavering commitment to innovation, OKX envisions a world of financial access backed by blockchain and the power of decentralized finance.
We are innovative in the way we think, work, and in the products we create. We are also socially responsible by actively participating and encouraging employees to take part in various public welfare activities. With more than 3,000 employees around the world, we believe embracing diversity and inclusion will spark the creation of long-term value for the industry. Come Build the Future with Us now!
About the Opportunity
The Compliance function at OKX is responsible for the overall compliance culture at the company, We're a team of risk-minded problem solvers who advise the business on the company's regulatory obligations and enterprise risk.
What You’ll Be Doing
As Head of Compliance UAE, you'll lead a growing team responsible for building out key aspects of our compliance program while monitoring developments locally. This requires strong leadership as well as sound technical competencies to handle complex matters and work with colleagues at all levels. The position reports directly to Head of Compliance EMEA, with matrix reporting to local management.
- Lead strategic direction, training and advisory support with regards to Compliance;
- Develop and maintain robust compliance policies, procedures, controls, and frameworks;
- Engage cross-functionality (with groups such as Data, Engineering, Finance, Legal, Product and Risk) to implement an effective compliance management program in line with global standards and industry best practices;
- Reviewing suspicious activities and transaction monitoring patterns and typologies to make relevant determinations, and conducting firm dealings with regulators including the Virtual Assets Regulatory Authority (VARA);
- Monitor and assess compliance with local laws, regulations and policies, particularly as they pertain to AML/CTF and sanctions and understand the corresponding regimes in key global markets;
- Oversee annual, periodic and on-demand compliance reviews and investigations, including but not limited to, compliance monitoring programme reviews, annual policy updates/refreshes, and AML/CTF risk assessment updates;
- Participate in Board committee and sub-committee meetings, whether as a member or on an as-needed basis;
- Conduct and oversee company training schedule;
- Liaise with other second and third line teams to ensure a sufficient control environment that exceeds base regulatory standards;
- Act as the first port of call for business team members on compliance issues and advise accordingly;
- Oversee compliance reviews and investigations;
- Prepare compliance reports, including reports to management and the board, and other materials as required by direct and matrix stakeholders;
- Assist with special projects as needed, with the ability to work in a fast-paced, ever changing environment.
What We Look For In You
- 8+ years of experience in compliance within financial services, FinTech or cryptocurrency industries such that you can meet the proficiency requirements for Head of Compliance;
- Experience of overseeing an effective compliance management program in line with UAE standards and an awareness of local and international industry best practices;
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for the crypto-industry, as well as the relevant risks;
- Working knowledge and experience of developing compliance policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal laws and local regulations as well as global standards;
- Experience of conducting and overseeing internal and external investigations;
- Strong leadership and people management skills;
- Batchelor's degree or equivalent practical experience;
- Proven ability to work within, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Self-motivated, critical thinker and adept at working independently and in a dispersed team environment covering multiple and varied tasks;
- Intuitive, highly ethical and comfortable to question and challenge;
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
Nice to Haves
- Prior experience working in the crypto industry;
- CAMS, ICA or equivalent certification;
- Arabic speaker;
Perks & Benefits
- Competitive total compensation package
- L&D programs and Education subsidy for employees' growth and development
- Various team building programs and company events
- Wellness and meal allowances
- Comprehensive healthcare schemes for employees and dependants
- More that we love to tell you along the process!